The Best Two Years

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September 2 Letter

   Well, we had an awesome week this last week.  We taught more lessons this last week than the missionaries ever taught before Elder Jeppesen and I.  It was in the hole when we got here.  This last week we had an awesome finding experience. I will just tell you about it.  So, we were walking by some apartments and there was an old guy and a lady named Brenda.  We had talked to Brenda before so we weren't going to go talk to her, but the Spirit said other wise.  We kinda walked past and at the same time turned around and went and talked to them.  The cool part was he (the old guy) had just saw us walk by and told Brenda(who is his wife) "I wish those 2 young men would come talk to us.", and then we came.  Long story short, we came back on Sunday and taught about the restoration and then we watched the restoration with him.  He said, and we could tell, that he was overcome with the Spirit.  He told us that he has cancer in his kidney and gallbladder and like 5 other organs and the doctors told him he would have 45 days to live and he has now lived for 2 years. Over the 2 years he has been prepared to recieve the gospel.  We actually ended up setting a baptismal date with him that night.  It was an awesome experience.  Elder Jeppesen and I had been praying to find the elect, and what happens?  The Lord provides every time. It's amazing!
We had that on Sunday and the combined 3rd hour. The bishop here is really awesome and very mission minded. So the theme on Sunday was missionary work and getting member referels to the missionaries. It was one of those things where I didn't know what I was going to say. So I just said what the spirit wanted me to say. But, basically what I told them was the vision I had for Springfield, and that was a temple. I asked them where they saw the church here in 10 years, and now I think they understand. You see, it's not about the baptism, it's about returning to live with God. We as members don't get that. We are the only ones to offer that because the church has the authority to do so. So, I ask you this question, what's your vision of Burley? Hopefully it's a temple. You see the 2 commandments that Christ gave us are still in effect today, (1) love God, and (2) love thy neighbor. If we love God, go to the temple, if we love our neighbor, let's share with them the true and everlasting gospel. Mom, you and Dad have strong testimonies for a variety of reasons, and you know them. But in order for our testimonies to grow we have to share them and I think Pres. Monson said that, I'm not sure. But, any wase, enough with that.
You asked the question about Nick. (*Note:I asked him if he had any experiences when he could tell that Nick was with him.) Well, I have noticed a helping hand. One time we were out on the road talking to these guys working on the manhole cover. So their truck was parked on half the road, so cars would go driving by cautiously around the truck. Well, after we were done talking, and I was going to go to the apartment (because it was right across the street)I didn't think to look for cars, and I just started walking when something just pulled me back and no sooner a car came flying by around the truck. So I'm pretty sure he was there.
About Steph and the kids. Don't worry, their where they need to be. Those kids definitely need to be where they are. If it's hard to get used to them just think back in the last 10 years and when has it been easy for us. The best thing Steph and Jay need right now is some good old Silcock support and how about a priesthood blessing. I didn't tell you this, but when Steph told me they had found those kids and were hoping to adopt them, and they hadn't told anybody but me, I knew when Steph told me about them that they were the ones. I had a spiritual confirmation right there on the spot! If it's tough, look at where they came from and look at their background. Remember, everything Christ touched, he healed. So what is the gospel? The gospel heals things, and what's the first principle of the gospel. Ya, that's right - faith in Jesus Christ, in His atonement. I have a cool scripture for you, Alma 7:11-13, read it, it's good. Not only will the kids be blessed, but as Steph and Jay continue to step up and become committed to the gospel, they will be blessed to. You should get all the kids together and go to the temple together with everyone, and make it a tradition. Remember, we should always preach the gospel and sometimes use words. So we teach by example, that's strong.
Well, I think that's it. Oh, if you get this and you haven't sent the package, get my camelback, because it's nice and compact, and my back pack leaves sweat stains on my shirt because it's so big and hot. Don't worry, I'm gonnna try to send some more pictures. Oh, and what's the deal with the hurricane? I guess I'm not too far from it, so this week we're supposed to get a lot of rain, oh well, we will see, and I will keep my fingers crossed. Well, tell everyone I says hello, and let me know how things are going back home. Oh, and could you send me pictures of my quad when I had it clean in Chris's garage, I know I took pics. The reason is because Elder Jeppesen wants to see pics of it and I wouldn't mind having pictures to show. Well, I think that's it for me this week. loves, by!!!!!

No comments: